Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Upper Michigan

Every summer and every winter this question is asked repeatedly by my siblings and I: When/ Are we going to Aunt Sue and Uncle Stan’s? It’s easily the best time of the year if we do go.

My aunt and uncle live in Bessemer in Upper Michigan. The own a huge, wooden, cabin-like bed and breakfast house and we go there once or twice a year either in the winter, the summer, or both. If we go in the winter we usually go downhill skiing at Big Powder Horn, Black Jack, or Indian Head. That’s the time of the year that most of my family is up there. If we go in the summer we do a lot of hiking, see beautiful waterfall, get relaxed in a sauna, and have blazing camp fires. What makes going up there a lot of fun too is seeing my family, and on my dad’s side of the family he has 7 brothers and sisters, so I have a lot of cousins. Also just seeing Aunt Sue and Uncle Stan is worth going up there (a seven hour drive) because we don’t see them that often because they have to travel a lot for their jobs.
Like I said before I went there by myself last summer and it was a blast. We went hiking like we always do, golfed, biked a lot, and ran in a couple races. The hiking we did was great. Aunt Sue made our way through tons of trails along rivers and waterfalls. Although Uncle Stan just had surgery on his knee so he could hike, it was still very enjoyable. The golfing, well it was pleasurable even though we hardly had a clue what we were doing most of the time. So pleasurable that we went three times in five days. Biking, just like everything else, was a great time. We travel through the streets of Bessemer and did some errands. The runs were on the weekend and by then my family had come to join me. During the week I bought some new running shoes and my aunt and I ran a little bit to train for the runs. The first race was on Saturday and it was the Bessemer Hometown Run that was 2 miles. I think I could’ve done it better if I ran it now because back then I only ran in soccer that ended a month prior to going to Upper Michigan. Basically, I wasn’t in very good shape. Still I ran it in 15 minutes flat. Then on Sunday I ran at the Sunday Lake Run that was just 2.8 miles around a lake. That run went a little better, because I had my breathing and form down from the last race, but when I was a quarter mile away from the finish I thought I had about 1 mile left. I ended up all-out sprinting the last hundred yards. My finishing time was around 22 minutes, but my memory isn’t that good to remember my exact time.

In the last paragraph I gave one example of a trip to the UP, but just think of doing that every year. Lucky for me, that does happen. And every year it just gets better and better. So to conclude, if I wrote this right you should be jealous of me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment