Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 12, 2012

"Remembering" my Concussion

Author's Note: This is the personal narrative that almost everyone was assigned. I focused on my  introduction. 



Heart pounding and muscles slowly aching, two symptoms that usually come with playing indoor soccer. Still there was one unusual aspect of my body that is off-set, but normally isn’t, my head. I can vaguely recall it through all of the pain that is surging in my head, even though it happened two minutes ago. I remember that I got the ball and started to turn with it, when I hit a wall. Well, what seemed like a wall, but in reality, was a giant kid that was twice my size from the other team barreling towards me. This sent me straight to the ground, knocking my head on the floor, leaving me in a daze. I don’t know if a foul was called or how much time had passed since I ended up on the bench, which is apparently where I am right now. I took this time to gather my thoughts. I don’t know where I am, what the score is, how much time has passed since the game started, or how these new shoes got on my feet. This is startling. My memory is usually very sharp and I usually remember lot of details about everything I experience. Since this wasn’t the case, I would diagnose myself with some sort of concussion. I guess I didn’t care that much about the well-being of my brain, because I ended up on the field playing soccer.

To this day, I distantly remember the rest of that afternoon, I don’t remember the score of the game, what happen after it, who we played, or what jersey I was wearing. All I can recall is that I had a throbbing, awful headache. The reason that that night was so special, wasn’t because of what I remembered; it’s what I didn’t remember that made it memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment